Saturday, January 3, 2009

What's for dinner?

I hate making dinner-I think you all are in the same boat if you have been around long enough. I have made macaroni & cheese, tacos, hamburgers, etc. all too many times to count and dread the thought of what's for dinner tonight. I subscribed to the Pillsbury monthly cookbook for a year hoping to get new ideas, but I inevitably didn't plan the menu before I went to the store. When it was time to make something from a new recipe, I didn't have a necessary ingredient since I buy what I've used for years. Obviously it didn't work out too great. But this is a new year and I've made a goal of trying at least 1 new dish a month (ambitious I know, but I think this is really do-able). Success! 5 out of seven liked January's new dish. The others know how to make PB & J.
Skillet Nachos
1 lb ground beef or turkey
1/4 c diced dehydrated onion
1 can diced tomatoes in tomato juice
1 can red/kidney beans drained & rinsed
2 c. frozen corn
1/2 to 1 t. chili powder (To taste)
1 bag corn chips
Garnish with:
Grated cheese ( I like jack & cheddar)
Sour Cream
Salsa

Brown meat with onion. Add tomatoes, beans and corn and chili powder. Cook through (the tomato sauce in the tomatoes should thicken up). Serve over the chips and garnish to your personal taste. Takes 15-20 minutes to make. The corn provides a sweet contrast to the chili powder.

2 comments:

  1. Looks very good-thanks for sharing! I'm gonna try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm... that DOES sound tasty! Y'know, one advantage of not having even a housepet is that I'm only worried about dinner for one... even if that does end up being breakfast cereal more often than not.

    ReplyDelete